By Emily Ohara, Education Program Manager & JBFC Kids Curator05.14.20
Film Review Activity
Write or film your own film review just like a movie critic! Use the questions listed below to help get your opinions and observations in order.
- Select a film to watch. For inspiration, check out JBFC Kids: At Home Viewing List.
- Watch the film!
- After the film is over, turn to your viewing buddy and do the following:
- Tell your viewing buddy in a few sentences about this film without giving away the ending. *Assume they know nothing about it.
- Express your opinion: Should people see this movie? Why or why not?
- Support your opinion: What details about the movie make it one you would recommend or not?
Now write down your answers including an introduction:
- Introduce yourself: Ex.) Hi! My name is ________ and I’m reviewing the movie _________.
- Synopsis (Title, Director, date, genre, setting, characters, plot) Hook them! *1-2 sentences
- Intro of characters
- Fun film fact
- Opinion of the film *Back it up with examples!
- Rating: How many popcorn buckets or stars out of 10 do you give it?
- Share it on Twitter or Instagram and tag us so we can read or watch your film review! #JBFCkids Instagram: jbfc_pville Twitter: jbfc_ny
JBFC Kids Film Review Example:
Take it Further:
- Film yourself in front of a green screen using the live green screen app, DoInk or Green Screen Wizard app. Click HERE for the DoInk app.
- Visit the Green Screen Activity blog to see how to create your own green screen backdrop HERE!
Note: Be sure to include a still from the film you are reviewing as your background.
Don’t know what movie to review?
The JBFC Kids: At Home Viewing List , created by JBFC Kids curator, Emily Ohara, has selected her favorite films from shorts to documentaries, animations to silent films. So check out these engaging and meaningful stories good for the whole family -- And ready to stream!