By Paige Grand Pré, Education Communications Associate09.01.17
Founded in 2001, the JBFC shows hundreds of films a year in our art house theater and has pioneered a unique approach to viewing and making media that is rooted in our commitment to visual literacy. In our classes at the Media Arts Lab, you’ll make your own projects, learn to enjoy movies in new ways, and spend time with some of the most interesting people around.
Our fall semester of Courses @ the Lab kicks off on September 7 with Creators’ Co-op, our program for high school students (Grades 9—12). Registration for Co-op continues through this weekend, with tons more courses available as the semester progresses! Read on for a few course highlights:
JBFC Kids Courses: Pre-K—Grade 8
JBFC Kids welcomes a new generation of viewers and their families into our community of cinema lovers and media-makers by offering an array of courses, monthly screenings at the Theater for families, and FREE activities at our Family Saturdays @ The Lab program. Kids large and small find opportunities to imagine, create, play, learn, write, discuss, collaborate, and have fun in our classes, so join us this fall! Fall course highlights include:
- Storyville, Grades 1—2: Nov. 7—Dec. 12
- Picturing Stories Workshop, Grades 1—2: Oct. 21
- Experiments in Media Workshop, Grades 3—4: Nov. 18
- Experiments in Media Workshop, Grades 5—6: Oct. 28
- Image, Sound, and Story for Homeschooled students Ages 10—13: Sept. 28—Nov. 16
- Cinemania: Afterschool Film Club, Grades 7—8: Sept. 27—Dec. 20
Courses for College & Adult Students
Whatever your interests or experience, we invite you to join the JBFC’s creative community, learn from supportive faculty, and take advantage of the Media Arts Lab’s state-of-the-art equipment and resources. Courses are available during the day, in the evenings, and on weekends so you can fit them into your busy schedule. Course highlights include:
- Media Workshop—Works in Progress, Sept. 11—Dec. 11
- The Power of Story—Everything is Possible, Sept. 14—Nov. 9
- Film Style & Form—The Art of Cinematography, Sept. 25—Nov. 20
- Taste of the Lab—Understanding Story, Sept. 27—Oct. 11
- Brand Yourself—Get Savvy About Social Media, Sept. 28—Oct. 26
- Screenwriting: Dialogue & Performance, Oct. 12—Dec. 14
- Video Portraits: Creating a Visual Story, Oct. 25—Nov. 29
As always, we seek to make our Courses @ The Lab as accessible to the public as possible. Thanks to the generous support of donors and JBFC members, full and partial scholarships are available for all courses and are awarded based on financial need. We encourage all students and their families to seek the financial support that will make their course participation possible. To learn more and submit a scholarship application, please visit our Scholarship Information page HERE.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at email@example.com, or by phone at 914.773.7663 ex. 8.